Director of Communications
Association Management Company is seeking full‐time employee to serve as a Director of Communications for one association client.
The Director of Communications is integrally involved with members, volunteers, sponsors, and staff to execute the association’s strategic plan. Primarily handles projects related to marketing and membership communications including the duties listed below as well as other related items as needed by the staff team.
Communications and Marketing
- Execute all marketing and communication activities of the association.
- Responsible for maintaining the association’s brand.
- Update and grow social networking presence and execute social media calendar.
- Responsible for compiling information, design, writing, editing, and distribution of bi‐monthly e‐newsletter to the membership as well as e‐mail campaigns to the membership.
- Responsible for the compiling, editing and producing of materials including but not limited to: the event scripts, letters, event programs and postcard promotion.
- Responsible for website content and design for one regular website, two specialty websites and a mobile app.
- Responsible for the generation and implementation of the annual marketing calendar.
- Maintain and regulate content for the association’s blog and editorial calendar.
- Present new strategic marketing initiatives to Executive Director.
- Manage and maintain annual and event specific advertising and sponsorship program including prospecting and solicitation of sponsors in support of annual revenue goals, as well as fulfillment and tracking of sponsor benefits.
- Create advertising and sponsorship opportunity packets.
- Forge ongoing relationships with current and potential sponsors and advertisers including providing ongoing support for the value received by sponsoring/advertising.
- Ability to respond to telephone calls concerning membership questions/concerns in a professional and informative manner.
- Ability to interact comfortably and professionally with members and potential members at all functions.
- Support the Executive Director in the preparation of annual budget.
- Review areas of responsibility in monthly financial statements.
Board and Committees
- Staff liaison for committees/task forces as appropriate and assigned.
- Report to the Board of Directors on the progress of the committees that serve as the staff liaison for.
- Attend and support the Executive Director at Board meetings.
- Provide support as directed for the association’s strategic plan initiative and tracking.
Events (Annual Convention, Awards Gala, Educational Sessions and Networking Events)
- Attend all education and networking events (approximately 25 total, all located within Indiana).
- Specific pre‐event and onsite responsibilities as assigned by Executive Director.
- Responsible for event promotions including print, email, and social media.
- Coordinate submission and judging of awards for Awards Program.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILL REQUIREMENTS
Applicant should demonstrate the ability to coordinate all phases of the Association’s marketing and membership communication and be able to work closely with the Executive Director and other staff members to execute the work of the Association, and have:
- Education level of a Bachelor’s degree in. in Marketing, Journalism, Communications or comparable related experience
- 2‐5 years of experience in non‐profit management, event and/or membership marketing
- Experience in running email, social media, content marketing and digital marketing campaigns, experience with HubSpot preferred
- Proficient in most Microsoft Office applications (specifically Word, Excel, PowerPoint), and Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator)
- Experience in volunteer management
- Strong interpersonal, written and oral communication skills
- Strong attention to detail while keeping the overall goals of a project in mind
- Proven ability to work as part of a team
- Exercise discretion and independent judgment
- Ability to develop and execute marketing/communications strategy including experience with WordPress or similar CMS
- Excellent creative copywriting and editing skills with strong attention to detail including knowledge of AP style
- In‐city travel required for programs/classes/events, approximately 70‐hours throughout the year. This travel would mostly occur during regular business hours but will include early morning and evenings.
- 3‐day annual conference held outside of Indianapolis in most years in July.
This job description is not intended to be and should not be construed, as an all‐inclusive list of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with the position. While it is intended to be an accurate reflection of the job requirements, management reserves the right to modify, add or remove duties and to assign other duties as necessary.
Supervision and performance evaluations of this position shall be the responsibility of the Executive Director.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter, including salary requirements, and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please no phone calls. EOE/M/D/V.